The Apostle of Allah then said:
When one of you eats food, he should say: O Allah, bless us in it, and give us food (or nourishment) better than it. (Hadith – Abu Dawud, Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas)
Early reacords often mention people’s use of milk and milk products. In 1922 a British American expedition discovered a temple near Babylon. The temple is thought to be 5,000 years old, and on one of the walls is milking scene . In the Bible, milk stands for richcess and plenty .
Palestine is decribed as a good land because it is”flowing with milk and honey.
“Allah the Almighty says –may the One Who says it glorified for ever: …….and rivers of milk whose taste never changes…….” (Qur’an 47:15)
And also He says :……pure milk, tasting good to those who drink it.(Qur’an : 16.66)
What is milk , and why has it been of great importance to human history?
Milk is the white liquid produced by the female of the warm blooded animals for the feeding of her young . Animals that produced milk are called mammals, Blood is pumped from the heart to the udder (mammary gland). The mammary gland is able to separate different substances from the blood and combine them to make milk. Milk has been called nature’s most perfect food. But from ancient times people have continued to drink milk beyond babyhood. They enjoy it, and they know that it provides most of the nutrients needed for good health.
Today the cow and goat are the major animals that supply milk for human use. But people also use milk from several other animals native homelands. In asia the camel, the horse , and the yak are sources of milk. The Eskimo( Inuit) and the people of Lapland use milk of caribou and reindeer. Ali ibn al-Husayn ibn Wafid said,” Allah put medicine into half ayah when He said: Eat and drink, but not excessively.(Quran 7.31)
Laban is Arabic words enunciate as Milk:
The Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “Let whoever is given milk by Allah say,’May the blessing of Allah be in it, and He gave us more of it, for I know that there is no other food or drink that can take its place.” ”This hadith has been transmitted by Abu Daaw’ud and at-Tirmidhi , on the authority of Ibn Abbas. And from ibn Abbas there is also the hadith that the Prophet,( may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ) loved milk.
Milk is made up of mixture of:
1) Water – the liquid part is hot and wet and gives energy to the constitution.
2) Fat – the fat is good for the body, The fat in milk is shaped into tiny droplets . They can be seen easily under a microscope . When milk stands for a while , the fat will rise to the surface and a layer of cream. Farmers used to skim off the cream by repeatedly dipping a dish with tiny holes into the cream layer. and Cheese – the cheese is cold and wet and makes a solid food.
3) Fresh milk is hot and wet
The best kind of fresh milk is human milk, drunk straight from the breath. Every kind of milk stays fresh for a certain amount of time, and then its taste changes and it goes sour milk is cold and wet. Thus Allah the Al-Mighty describes the milk of the Garden by saying, ‘milk whose taste never changes.’(Qur’an 47: 15)
4) The milk of any animal whose period of pregnancy is longer than that of a women is certainly not good for you.
5) Fresh milk produces chime.-its purifies the body, increase semen, and stimulates sexual intercourse.
6) Milk relaxes the bowels, relieves depression, and stimulates the brain even though it has wind. However drinking too much milk encourage lice. When taken with sugar, milk improves, the complexion, and result plumpness. It alleviates minor itching and scabies. It also improve memory, very kind of milk, except that of a she-camel, is Diuretic-which is why milk is used in treating, cases of dropsy.
The following story has been reported by Anas:
“The people of ‘Akal or ‘Arayna were on the move , and they entered Madina, they were suffering from illness known as ‘al-hawi’. So the Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, ordered some she-camels for them and told them to drink their milk and their urine. When they were well, they left.”
The above hadith has been transmitted by al-Bukhari, Muslim , Abu Daw’ud, at-Tirmidhi, as-Sina’I and Ibn Maja.
According to Muslim’s account , the number of people who were ill was between three and nine. Other accounts state that it was eight people.
Any way, it should be noted that:
- al’hawi’ is an illness of the stomach ; and further,
- that ‘ ‘Akal’ is the name of tribe, white’ ‘Arayna’ is the name of a branch of the Buhayla tribe,
- and ‘a she-camel’ means one which in milk.
In account given by Qatada , from Anas, it is stated that a group from the Arayna tribe went to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, and said,
“We have infected the town with al-hawi , and our bellies are swollen.” That is what the hadith says. Now it is not the milk itself that cures dropsy.What happens is that an illness due to cold attacks the organ s and makes them shrink.
One of three types of dropsy then evolves. These three kinds of dropsy are known as:
- and tympanites.
Milk contains several hundreds different substances. It is best known as a source of:
- and Protein
Since most people can digest milk easily , the calcium , phosphorus, and other materials can be quickly used by the body. Milk contains large amounts of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) and some vitamin A. Milk fat, milk sugar (lactose) , and the major milk protein, casein, are found only in milk and nowhere else in nature. Casein makes up about 80 percent of the total protein and is the basis of all cheese. Milk has a:
- and relaxing effect on the stomach
- and results in a diuressis of fluids.
Which is even more effective than that produced by :
- chamomile ,
Or any of the other remedies used in treating cases of dropsy.
So this remedy is one of the best there is and is very beneficial . There is no other medicine like it for treating this particular disease. And this disease does not usually occur unless :
- there is something very wrong with the liver. So if a person stops taking food and water, and
- drinks milk instead, then he will certainly be cured.
This has been proved through experience. As for using urine, the best kind of urine is of the :
- Arabian camel
In the ahadith, there is evidence of the purity of urine, because it does not attack the flesh.
It has been related by Ibn Abbas that the Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to rinse his mouth out after drinking milk, saying , that the fat in the milk was bad for those who had a fever or who suffered from headaches. This hadith has been transmitted by al-Bukhari and Muslim.
The Prophet confirmed that milk fat is the worst possible thing for those who have:
- or who suffer from headaches
Because of the speed with which it is converted into bile.
Physicians, too, are agreed that
- milk should be avoided by whoever has fever or headache.
Stale milk is thicker and wetter than fresh milk, and is greasy- with the exception of goats’ milk. Some fresh milk , and some stale milk mixed with water , were once brought to the Prophet, may Allah bless him and grant him peace , and he drank the fresh , saying ,”In this there is good fortune and safety .” Al-Bukhari transmitted this hadith.
Goat’s milk is easing when taken in moderation, and relaxes the bowels. It produces wetness, and is beneficial in the treatment of tuberculosis, which is a desease of the chest . Cow’s milk comes halfway between sheep’s milk and goats’ milk terms of its texture and viscosity. It is nutritious and causes plumpness.
Prophet Muhammad was reported to have been pleased when once drinking goat milk. The Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, drew attention to its usefulness when he said,” Drink cows’ milk, for it is a healing and fattening remedy.” And according to Ibn Mas’ud , he also said,” Allah did not create any desease without also creating a remedy for it- so drink cows’ milk , for cows feed off all sorts of plants.”
This hadith was transmitted by an-Nasai’ . ‘Feed ‘ of course means ‘eat’.
7. 1st.The above ahadith teaches us two things:
The first is that Allah has not created any illness without also creating a cure for it. It therefore follows that man should make use of his faculties and direct his energy towards learning , about medicine- for if he knows that there s the possibility of there being a cure for every desease , and that a remedy exists for every desease, thensurely he will want to find out what they are. Indeed taking care of health is one of the most noble of aims , as has alrrady been stated. And it is towards most noble this end that all the requirements of the deen and this world lead.
8. 2nd .Things that we learn is that our attention is drawn to the many benefits that milk has , for the Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, “So drink cow’s milk…,” In order to emphasizes, and to encourage us. And this shows that there are various benefits in milk for treating various diseases. However the Prophet was not content with just saying this, but also gave the precise reason why , when he added,”….for cows feed off all sorts of plants,” he implied that there are different kinds of milk , then how true his words are as regards their usefulness in their containing , many remedies .How excellent and comforting this command and conclusion are!
She-Camel’s- and Gastritis. (from week liver)
9. She –camel’s milk is more shining, and less fatty than others, and it is more likely to loosen the bowels. It does not curdle in the stomach. It is very good for whoever suffers from gastritis because of a weak liver.
The Prophet , may Allah bless him and grant him peace , said,”
Truly the cure for gastric upsets in their stomachs is camel’s urine and it’s milk.”
One of the peculiar things about camels’ milk is the fact that mice do not drink it. It has been related by Abu Huraira that the womenfolk of the Tribe of Israel lost their fear of mice whrn they learned that if mice come across goats’ milk they will drink it, whereas if they come across camels ‘ milk they will not. The Jews do not eat camels’ meat, nor they drink their milk.
10. As for acidic milk, it is harmful for a cold stomach, because of its coldness and its dryness. However it is good for a hot stomach, and stimulates hot temperaments to have sexual intercourse.
- Lactose (milk sugar) is a special kind of sugar found in milk. It is not as sweet or easy to dissolve as table sugar.
- As for sour milk , the most excellent is that which comes from cows’ milk.
- When milk becomes sour it does so because the lactose has been fermented by the bacteria and has turned into lactic acid. The acid gives the milk the sour flavour .
Some people cannot drink milk- or can drink only small amounts- because they have trouble in digesting lactose.
Buffaloes’ milk contains much hotness. It is said that one of its peculiarities is that no insect will come near it!
Sahih Bukhari and Muslim:
‘Abdullah bin Mas’oud narrated that God’s Messenger said: “Drink cow milk, for cows graze on every kind of plant.” (Sunan) Narrated Ibn ‘Abbass, r.a., God’s Messenger said that the fat of milk was bad for the feverish and for those who suffer from headache. It is recommended to rinse one’s mouth with water after drinking milk. Qur’an 16:66: And verily! In the cattle, there is a lesson for you. We give you to drink of that which is in their bellies, from between excretions and blood, pure milk; palatable to the drinkers.Prophet Muhammad was reported to have been pleased when once drinking goat milk. ( Muslim #4984)